Re: Installation of Debian on iMac DV 400Mhz

On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 02:19:36PM +0100, Bernard.Blundell@aah.co.uk wrote:

> To cut a long story short, I had an absolute nightmare. I have many years'
> experience with Debian (I am a very passionate advocate) on i386, but the
> PPC install completely stumped me.

its a bit rough in potato.  we are working on making it much better in
woody.

> Partitioning - The "drive setup" tool under MacOS seems to be the only tool
> that everybody will have access to that succeeds in partitioning the drive
> correctly. The links to 'mac-fdisk' on the Debian installation pages are
> simply links to the man page, which is a terrible thing to do to a newbie.

drive setup cannot partition teh disk correctly.  please read:

http://penguinppc.org/usr/ybin/doc/mac-fdisk-basics.txt

that is a much better document then the man page.

> Booting from the CD-ROMs - simply does not work on my model of iMac, and I
> suspect that this will be the case for most iMacs that have undergone the
> firmware upgrade necessary for MacOS X or MacOS 9.1.

no potato r3 CDs will boot all NewWorld macs.

> Booting from Yaboot - Again, MacOS X/9.1 require a firmware upgrade and I
> think this prevents the Yaboot installer from working.

no it doesn't.

> aren't mentioned in the existing Debian documentation (like booting from the
> CD in OpenFirmware).

same as any CD, you hold down the `c' key at boot. this works with
potato r3 CDs.

> I've not got bags of time to spare, so the document would have to be "this
> is how to install Debian on an iMac DV 400Mhz with a slot-loading DVD".
> Fairly limited audience, but I think that there would be a non-trivial
> number of potential Debian users out there that gave up long before I did.

please get the CVS boot-floppies and work on the documentation, send
patches here.  we may be able to get a few documentation fixes into
the next build of potato boot-floppies.  but those are not going to
get much more then major bug fixes.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/