Re: Installer online help

David Whedon wrote:

The nice things i see about this is that the messages have a chance of being
maintained if put into busybox cvs.  The problem is that they are separated from
the people who actually want the messages to exist (Debian), though not too far,
since busybox is pretty Debian friendly (already has a dpkg applet :-) )

b.t.w at people.debian.org/~bug1 i have a patch against the current cvs version of busybox that changes ar, untar, dpkg-deb and dpkg and their underlying function in libbb.

I havent commited yet because im a bit unsure of a few things and havent had much feedback.

The dpkg in the patch is pretty much a rewrite, all it can do is install a package that doesnt already exist, it doesnt have any dependency code in it yet which is really needed to do other stuff properly. The existing dpkg applet tries to do more but i think could break in a number of circumstances. So which is better ?

I am pretty happy with dpkg-deb now in terms of its size and functionality.

Also i have made an untar applet which is a cheaper alternative to the proper busybox tar applet which i am unsure about commiting.

Glenn