Re: Installer online help

On Mon Jun 11, 2001 at 02:03:21PM -0700, David Whedon wrote:
> Mon, Jun 11, 2001 at 09:55:40PM +0200 wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm willing to accept patches to properly internationalize busybox.  But I
> > > expect that is going to be a lot of effort with very little visible benefit.
> >
> > Very little visible benefit ? Are you stating that all new Debian users speak
> > fluent English ?

No.  I am stating that 99.9999999% of all people who use the Debian boot
floppies will never ever see or interact with any busybox utilities.

When using the boot floppies to install Debian, the average user will use
dbootstrap, the nice friendly internationalized installer program, to install
things.  Very, very few people will ever see or use 'cp' or 'mv' or 'sed' or
any of the other busybox commands directly.  Of those very very few people that
do use these programs, most will never know or care if these utilities have no
help messages, english help messages, or have nice i18n for their local tongue.

I agree that there will be some people who will use these utilities, and would
prefer them to have help text in their own language.  For those people I am
willing to accept patches.

> I'm sure that isn't what eric means.  Too much out of context here.  busybox is
> used by Debian, but has a life all it's own in the embedded world. In the
> embedded world busybox doesn't have a whole lot of interaction with real people.

And to be honest, it does not have a lot of interaction with real people
even on the debian boot floppies...

> The nice things i see about this is that the messages have a chance of being
> maintained if put into busybox cvs.  The problem is that they are separated from
> the people who actually want the messages to exist (Debian), though not too far,
> since busybox is pretty Debian friendly (already has a dpkg applet :-) )

And it has a Debian developer for an upstream maintainer.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org, andersen@lineo.com