Re: Translating installation manual to finnish

Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:40:03PM +0300 wrote:
> I've some friends are we are interested in translating installation
> manual for woody to finnish.  So, is it possible to get CVS
> account(s?)  without being official Debian developer?

yesi, it is possible, talk to Adam Di Carlo.  Though it may be simpler to just
check out anonymous cvs and send patches to this list or the the Bug Tracking
System.

>  (To my credit,
> I already have account to webwml ie. Debian's web site under name
> "finnish".)
>
> Or is there anybody currently working with finnish translations?
I haven't see much finnish activity recently.

> If this list isn't correct place to ask for CVS account, please reply
> me privately and tell correct contact person.

This is the right one.

Documentation changes should go into the potato branch, they will be merged into
the woody branch periodically.

David

P.S. This is from README-CVS in boot-floppies cvs:

CVS and boot-floppies Sources
=============================

You can access the boot-floppies using CVS; this is particularly
useful if you are actively working on the package.

CVS comes with excellent documentation; in particular, see the `cvs'
info pages, and "Open Source Development with CVS", a GPL book freely
available online, at <URL:http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/>.  (There is a
Debian package of it, called "cvsbook".)

There are various ways to access the CVS repository for boot-floppies,
depending on your circumstances.  However, once you've set up your
CVSROOT variable properly, all the access methods behave almost much
identically.

There is a web interface for CVS, which is great for browsing the commit
logs, pulling diffs from the repository, and getting a good look at
the layout of the module.  It can be accessed via:
<URL:http://cvs.debian.org/>.

* Getting the boot-floppies source via CVS

This version of the sources is for Debian 2.2, aka Potato.

The following are POSIX bourne shell commands you can run to get the
CVS area; other shell users should be able to translate to their shell
language easily.  Commands with a `#' are comments; you don't have to
type those.

   # If you are logged into to cvs.debian.org (CNAME va.debian.org):
   export CVSROOT=/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using `ssh' to access the area, and you have an
   # account on cvs.debian.org -- this is the recommended method:
   export CVS_RSH=ssh
   export CVSROOT=:ext:<MY-USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot

   # If you are using anonymous (readonly) access:
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # You will be prompted for a password -- just hit `Enter'.

   # If you are using a pserver account (i.e., you need write access
   # but do not have a login account, and you have been given a
   # pserver username and password):
   export CVSROOT=:pserver:<USERNAME>@cvs.debian.org:/cvs/debian-boot
   cvs login
   # Enter the password you have been given.

After that, all techniques are the same.  Simply check out the
sources.  For the lastest Potato version, do:

   cvs co -r potato boot-floppies