Re: Locale for boot-floppies

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org>:

> Probably we should create a new minimal locale which is just like C,
> except that it uses UTF-8. Maybe we can call it "C.UTF-8".
>
> I'm not an export on locales, but I'll try to have a look at it and
> see if I can make something work.

I tried blending "i18n" and "POSIX" to create the attached version of
/usr/share/i18n/locales/C@utf-8.

The name "C.UTF-8" doesn't seem to be usable.

The /usr/lib/locale/C@utf-8/ that results is still 158 KB, but the
compressed tar archive is about 30 kB. The big file is LC_CTYPE. I
don't suppose you could make that file smaller, but maybe you could
make it more compressible.

Edmund
comment_char %
escape_char /

LC_IDENTIFICATION
title      "POSIX/i18n locale for UTF-8"
source     ""
address    ""
contact    ""
email      "debian-boot@lists.debian.org"