Re: MacOS floppy creation

> On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 09:42:54PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
>>
>> OK. Well I've been checking out the mkhybrid docs, and it's just like you
>> say, it automatically converts Macbinary, Binhex, etc. to the native Mac
>> documents (assuming the right options are turned on). But I guess that's
>> irrelevant, I'll start on the instructions for Script Editor.

One more slight complication. If it's saved as Unix or DOS text, (CRLFs or
LFs only), then Script Editor can't make heads or tails of it. So it has to
be saved in Mac style (CRs only) and kept from being munged by any of the
systems it crosses. Maybe the best thing would be to to binhex the script
text as well?

Here's what I have so far (Floppy4Mac.txt):

-- If this script appears all mixed up, with boxes,
-- then it's been converted to Unix style text somehow.
-- You can remedy this by replacing all the boxes with Returns
-- manually, or use BBEdit or some other tool to convert it to
-- Mac style newlines.

-- This Applescript uses the MacOS Disk Copy utility to
-- create a floppy for use in installing and/or booting Linux
-- on a powerpc, for example the Debian distribution floppy
-- images like root.bin.

-- To use this script, you must first open it within Script
-- Editor and save it in the Classic Applet format. Script Editor is
-- available on your MacOS system in the Apple Extras:Applescript Extras
-- folder, or on your MacOS CD inthe CD Extras:Applescript Extras folder.
-- Saving the script in the Classic Applet format will result in a
-- droppable icon to which you can drag floppy image files such as
-- root.bin. Disk Copy will prompt you for a floppy disk which will
-- be overwritten with the floppy image you dragged.

-- This script copyright Chris Tillman, tillman@azstarnet.com,
-- and is available to all under the terms of the
-- GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE (GPL).

on open file_list

 tell application "Finder"

  -- Disk Copy will refuse to make floppies unless the creator and type
  -- of the image file meet with its approval

  -- The image is locked so that if it is accidentally mounted on the
  -- desktop, its boot blocks won't be erased by MacOS

  repeat with floppy_image_file in file_list
   set the creator type of floppy_image_file to "ddsk"
   set the file type of floppy_image_file to "DDim"
   set the locked of floppy_image_file to true
  end repeat
 end tell

 tell application "Disk Copy"
  activate
  repeat with floppy_image_file in file_list
   with timeout of 900 seconds
    create a floppy from file floppy_image_file
   end timeout
  end repeat
  quit
 end tell