Re: MacOS floppy creation

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 10:06:09AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:

> Well, that would require Script Editor, which is not normally installed on
> the system (it's in the Applescript Extras folder on the MacOS CD).
> Applescript itself is a system extension with no UI of its own.

unless apple changed something very recently this is not true, script
editor has been installed on the hard disk (in AppleExtras) since
system 7.5. i vividly remember having to remove it from the default
install on machines at a school where i took care of some 60+ macs.
(to slightly discourage all sorts of annoying behavior).

> Of course, the text file could be distributed alongside the executable,
> droppable script.

if you choose the GPL as the licence that would seem to be necessary.

> We could also remove the Disk Copy portion, just leave that in the
> installation instructions, and make the droppable script just a utility for
> making the floppy images Mac-aware (replacement for potentially dangerous
> ResEdit).

the problem is whether macbinary files can be put onto ISO9660/HFS
hybrid CDs or not, and how much of a pain in the ass that is to
accomplish in the CD image build process.  (mkhybrid has some options
on this iirc).  if its feasable to have macbinary files built into the
CD in an unpacked state (on the HFS half of the CD) that would be
useful to also eliminate all .sit files from the CD images.  (at the
very least any .sit files, including bootx should be replaced with
.bin files in a .tar.gz)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/