Re: di: seperate preperation and installation phases

I got board one weekend and have done this in a way for
debian-linux-i386 and it works quite well.  I had initially done a
single prep/build environment but it got too messy.  The separation of
phases helped keep the complexity of both systems down.  Phase I is a
good rescue environment and remains solid because it is a contained
environment.  Phase II is a static build envronment which is not that
flexable, but is extreamly robust to upgrading of the production and
prepration environment. It consists of a static busybox with a
script+fstab/interfaces+config that currently take the packages live
from the mirrors and build them the way deboostrap does but with a
much more minimal environment.

This system will build a debian system (in vmware) from one floppy in
one boot which was my original goal. I eventually want to have it run
in intel's PEX environment to build a new lab box in one boot totally
unattended with my some what stable snapshot of the "unstable"
distribution.

Here is an outline of what it does, if anyone is intrested in the
scripts/environment just shoot me some email.

I know this is a lot of duplicated work but I just got board one
weekend and felt the need to know what it realy takes to build a
debian system from as little as possible. (my resuce disks were
also getting a bit crusty too, running linux 2.0.29)

tim...

Phase I
* boot into a rescue disk like environment (reduced libc)
* partition/format/copy phase II enviornment (a single script now)
* write Phase II config
* if (in initrd) then exit and chain phase II ; else reboot

Phase II
* boot into static busybox environment and run phase II script as init
* setup network/package source
* download required packages (10)
   - an alternative to this would be to download all
     phase II/III in phase I since there are not that many packages
* unpack libc6/libstdc/sysvinit/ash/dpkg
* use new dpkg to re-install above
* use dpkg to install dpkg/apt/perl support
* apt-get dist-upgrade
* processes Phase I config for transfer to phase III
* exec /sbin/init for sane enviornment

Phase III
* run as .bash_login
* apt-get install ??? for interactive setup
* we now have basic debian system ready for installing tasks.

--
Tim Middelkoop                  O    A straight line may be the shortest
mtim@arranvale.com             /\,   distance between two points, but it