preparing for initrd of cdlinux

I cc:ed debian-boot asking for help.

please join the cdlinux effort. it aims to be the official way of
building debian cds. and debian cds will since rule them all! ;-)

on preparing initrd of cdlinux. this is pretty simple:

below is version pre-alpha of /linuxrc on initrd, please review. i
haven't tested it. testing is slow on my box. classic pentium etc.

--8<--
#!/bin/sh

# XXX: do scsi stuff here, probe kernel modules

# mount cdrom device
mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /cdrom
# if testing from cdrom image file on harddisk, use this instead. edit use your brain.
# mkdir /tmp/mount
# mount /dev/hda1 /tmp/mount
# insmod /modules/loop.o
# mount -t ext2 -o loop /tmp/mount/boot/cdlinux/cdrom.img /cdrom

# mount ram2.gz, what about using tmpfs, how? advantage?
gzip -cd /cdrom/images/ram2.gz | dd of=/dev/rd/1
mount -t ext2 /dev/rd/1 /mnt
# XXX: setup real root directory

# do the pivot_root thing
cd mnt
mkdir initrd proc dev
pivot_root . initrd
mount -t proc proc proc
mount -t devfs devfs dev
# Close all open files on the initrd, and run real init.
exec chroot . /sbin/init <dev/console >dev/console 2>&1
-->8--

* after this, we'll have init to setup fstab etc first. or should i
mount various images in here?

i will setup busybox as required above (applets includes: insmod mount
mkdir gzip cd pivot_root sh chroot), tomorrow. all of this are trivial.
please if you have spare time and resource, prepare for your own
initrd and kernel. then upload to our repository on sourceforge.

for kernel, for us to sync our development. just upload .config
file. (we won't include any patches unless we got the basic things up)

for initrd, it's improper to use cvs, so upload the raw image file, a
ext2 filesystem image, with block size 4096. (as some bugs in
kernel/cramfs, i don't wont to fight for it.)

if you're not yet a member of cdlinux dev team/have rights to upload,
please join us and let me know you username on sourceforge so i can
add you.

after this, we'll need a mechanims to sync our cd image development. i
still have no clue at all that how we sync. i will write some
documents maybe. when after this, a live cdrom system is running,
we'll do things like installer/deboostrap etc.

our advantage is that we have full system running (on cdrom) to do the
install task. ie. gtk, qt, mozilla, whatever, are all ready for
use. no bothering on udebs etc. and by using cramfs, we have nearly
1.6G things extracted on each cd, as usual. (because cramfs sucks,
that is one reason we cannot have eacy sync method for our
development.)

regards,
zhaoway

SDI counter-intelligence jihad Vickie Weaver Vince Foster genetic
Cocaine Ft. Bragg KGB Legion of Doom class struggle Rule Psix ECHELON
Khaddafi Watergate