Re: Floppy-less booting

>> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 04:30:38PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
>>
>> After entering install, it almost worked. I got;
>>  ... kernel loaded
>>  ... ramdisk loaded at 0x1800000, size: 1474560 bytes
>> DEFAULT CATCH!, code=0300 at %SAR0: 01608158
>>     %SAR1: 00003030

>> This is on a B&W G3 350 (slot-loading), MacOS 9.1, Machine ID 406, 128M
>> Memory (VM is on, though I woudn't think that would affect yaboot.)
>
> no it should be fine.  ill see if i can download this and try it out
> on my rev1 blue g3 tomorrow, ive been busy working on yaboot today.

Hey Ethan,

I figured out what was wrong with this.

I had downloaded linux from the debian website using Fetch in Automatic
mode, and it had downloaded it as text. I got the clue when I kept staring
at the files and root.bin / yaboot.conf were white-document icons while
yaboot and linux were displayed as plain-text document icons.

I had used Stuffit Expander to extract yaboot from the 1.1.1 archive from
your website, and apparently it didn't hurt it even though it created it as
text type. I used suntar to do a true binary, but it worked the same.

The difference was in downloading the kernel in binary mode. If we document
this method, we should make sure to mention it, because the default is text
mode for most Mac ftp/http programs if there's no extension on the file
name.

BTW, I also downloaded your debug yaboot version and it works fine, prints
out a boatload of info. With the bogus text-mode kernel it ends up with:

Kernel entry point = 0x1400000
    arg1=0xcc800000,
    arg2=0x00168000,
    prom=0xff80a290,
    arg4=0x0,
    arg5=0x0

Entering kernel...

DEFAULT CATCH!, code=0300 at %SAR0: 01608158  %SAR1: 00003030

So that would have pointed us to the kernel also.

c-ya later, I'm going into dbootstrap!

--

Chris Tillman
tillman@azstarnet.com