Re: lack of support for NICs during installation

On 25 Mar 2001, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> TeknoDragon <andross@ghettobox.dhs.org> writes:
>
> there are 4 such kernels for i386 -- the significant ones are the
> vanilla ones, the 'idepci', and the 'compact' kernels.

I assume that the modules on the official CD are rather complete, is that
not accurate? I did try several different modules, but I gave up and my
vendor supplied a fa311.o module so I evenutally used that on one box.
3com's drivers never worked out.

> If no one files bugs and pesters the kernel-image maintainers, the
> problem won't get fixed.   Here are the packages to be tested and to
> file bugs against:
>
>   kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-i386
>   kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci
>   kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-compact

will do... you just seemed to make a statement ("I've never seen NIC's not
work with stock kernels" or something like that) that could use some more
info...

I'll file the fa311/natsemi bug against kernel-image-2.2.19pre17-idepci
and the 3c905C after I figure out if it works at all with any kernel.

-karl