pcmcia network config (was Re: kernel-image-2.2.19pre13 for 2.2r3?)

Brian Mays <brian@debian.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Looks like I'm about to modify the PCMCIA packages to use Anthony
> Towns' ifup/ifdown utilities by default (with a fall-back to the older
> /etc/pmcica/network script).  Therefore, the correct place to
> configure PCMCIA network connections will be in
> /etc/network/interfaces.
>
> This should simplify the installation procedure, since the
> boot-floppies team can focus on configuring one file
> (/etc/network/interfaces), and no longer need to concern themselves
> with setting up network.opts.
>
> Somebody (Adam?) please reply to this and let me know whether this is
> a good idea now or whether I should wait.  If I get the go-ahead, I'll
> build a new set of PCMCIA packages that include these changes.

Sorry I didn't reply earlier.

If you think this is the right thing to do, I guess it's ok.  It won't
try to configure the interface unless / until the pcmcia net card
comes online, right?

One nice thing about /etc/pcmcia/network.opts is that you can use the
SCHEME to set different networking environments.  Will we lost that
functionality if we move to /etc/network/interfaces ?

Anyhow, this would be for woody, I assume?

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>