About on the fly compression/decompression of ext2 files

Hello,

Has anybody some experience with the possibility of using compressed files
on the fly with ext2 or iso9660 ?

Files compressed individually will take, in general I think, more space than
a whole file system compressed (initrd at boot time typically).

But, for machines with not a great amount of memory, I imagine that a fs
composed of _individually_ compressed files will allow the decompression on
the fly, thus the use of the heap (dynamic allocation) for _each file_
individually accessed (memory used being freed after use).
Then the footprint on the memory will be smaller.

Has anybody some hints about that ?

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org