Re: cvs commit to boot-floppies by dwhedon

David Whedon schrieb:
> - syslogd not working, maybe it is because /dev/log  doesn't
> exist, I get tail: /var/log/messages: No such file or
> directory  I ctrl-C it a few times and try manually starting
> syslogd, mkfifo /dev/log, eventually it works, not sure what I
> actually needed to do.

syslog() drops it's messages into /dev/log, and the syslogd is
supposed to pick them up there. If we don't need logfiles we can
go without syslogd since it seems that the libc just drops log
messages to /dev/console if there is nothing reading /dev/log,
at least that's what I see on my notebook where I don't run any
syslogd to stop the disk from spinning up.

ciao, 2ri
--
Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?