Re: Extended floppy : summary

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 04:14:00AM -0700, Tim Riker wrote:
> Hey all. The danger IMHO with larger sizes is not booting them it's
> supporting all those that want to make boot floppies from ftp on
> platform X.
>
> We would need procedures (probably binaries) that can format and copy
> the data onto floppies such that the user can get to the first Linux
> boot.
>
> This is non-trivial, as you can imagine.

This needs "only" to depend on fdutils for superformat, and mtools (simply
because superformat needs it).

But the main problem, IMO, is that this kind of stuff is very PC specific.
But as I have already said, booting is firmware dependent...

El Torito is perhaps not that great, but the fact that it is put on an
iso9660 fs, and that it allows to choose between different images to boot
would have made possible, in theory, to have 1 CD for all the architectures
supported. At the moment, El Torito is only supported by PC and PPC, AFAIK.