FWIW : `jivaro' GRUB

FWIW, I have made some test with GRUB, non compiling functions that are not
necessery for booting (but I have kept all the fs support, all the kinds of
booting options).

The result is a 67428 bytes `stage2' (the real grub in fact), + 512 octets
(the first sector). We do not need the *stage1_5 on a floppy, and don't need
absolutely these for an installation on disk. Using this stage2 for
installing it as the bootloader for the fresh installation needs raw copying
stage1 at a well defined place, and patching the stage2 with the correct
information (the tools are here for that with Busybox I think).

And one can think of a kind of incremental installation :

Installation from the floppy.

Reboot via the "stripped" GRUB installed. By default, an entry is booted
which reinstalls an extended GRUB, and reboot with the Debian GNU/Linux
system as a default (via the use of savedefault function).

Do you think that it is worth working on that for the use of GRUB+ extended
floppy format (1820 Ko) ?

--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org