Re: Testing woody boot/install process

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> Ah! I think I understand. I was using the compact image, because it was
> the only one I could get to download from your web page. (I tried the more
> obvious, like the 1.44 images, and never got a complete image file to
> download. The download would always quit before the whole image arrived.)

Did you try the one on people.d.o/~aph/current/ ?

> They all use the same root filesystem (well, at least I only get the one
> from the main subdirectory) and are built differently.

No, they all have different root.bins:

<aph@auric:images-1.44> pwd
/home/aph/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44

<aph@auric:images-1.44> md5sum root.bin compact/root.bin idepci/root.bin
2b228775ec67c0a964f7979bbee2579c  root.bin
984508d9768c5c09eb630b172306dd9f  compact/root.bin
ed54cbb1331d9f26f1d402ae8c9bcfc3  idepci/root.bin

> I suspect these may be the SCSI drivers that are built into the
> larger images, but compact is probably built with them as modules
> and the install file system doesn't have them.

I don't know, I don't think that's it...

> I saw this last release as well, and while it is annoying, it doesn't
> cause installation problems.

Yes, would be nice to fix, the little things are important.