Re: 2.2r2 installs but hda busy

"Adam Di Carlo" <adam@onshore.com> replied:

> Have no idea.  It's some sort of kernel issue.

Yes, the kernel seems to be surprised that my DMA is braindead.  I
discovered this when I reinstalled slink and compared:

Potato kern.log:

 PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
 PIIX4: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
      ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
      ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio

Slink kern.log:

 ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7
     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf

Note the absence of references to the BIOS's DMA settings (which I can't
change; sigh).

> Perhaps try some of
> the other kernel flavors, such as idepci or compact?

Thanks for the tip!  In the frustration, I had forgotten about these.
Still, they both have:

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDEDMA=y

just like vanilla.  So I probably need a customized kernel to upgrade....

Tod
abl.com