Re: Modutils-basic and misc questions

Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 02:20:14PM +0200 wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have some quick questions.
>
> While trying to build the system I come across needed="rootskel anna main-menu
> cdebconf-udeb udpkg busybox-udeb ash-udeb kernel-image-2.4.0-di-udeb
> choose-mirror wget-retriever niccfg-manual netcfg-static netkit-tiny-udeb
> nic-modules-2.4.0-di isa-pnp-modules-2.4.0-di modutils-basic """; \
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> I'm using the second patch david has sent for modutils in order to build
> modutils udeb. What exactly is modutils-basic? And what was modutils-net? I'm
> just dropping the modutils udeb in localudebs and renaming modutils-basic to
> modutils or am I missing something??
That will work fine.  All the install system uses now is modprobe, however it
gets it doesn't matter.  You can read more about the discussion in the BTS:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=83608&repeatmerged=yes

It will be nice to see modutils udeb's appear in the archive, then we won't have
these rather annoying problems.

> Also it seems that the system can't be built with fakeroot. I think
> this is a known limitation but any ideas on how to do it without
> requiring super user privileges?

I think we're stuck requireing super-user privilages since to make the floppy
image we need to mount a loop device, at least. It would certainly be nice to be
able to create install disks without needing these privilages, but it may not be
possible.

> Also, it looks like there's a pseudo-package
> for debian-boot but not one for debian-installer in BTS. I wonder
> if one should be created?

Bugs should be filed against the particular module in question (build-installer,
main-menu, netcfg, etc.) .  A debian-installer BTS entry would be a catch-all
and bugs assigned to it would all have to be reassigned.

David