Problem booting w/ 45 GB WDC hard drive

I am having trouble booting Debian Linux on a new PC with Windows ME already installed,
128 MB RAM, CD, DVD, etc.  I'd be grateful for any help.
						Thank you,
						- Gene Cooperman
---

It appears that Linux is not recognizing my hard disk.  It is a 45 MB disk.
Initially, I tried a Debian CD, Slink and a half, but when I saw a HOWTO,
I switched to trying the compact disk images for 2.2.18pre21 from the Debian
site (i386/current/images-1.44/compact/).

I always get:  hda:  VP_IDE not 100% native:  will probe IRQ's later
               hda:  not responding, (status 0x1a), resetting
               hda:  not responding
               hdb:  not responding, (status 0x1a), resetting
               hdb:  not responding
               hda:  pi0
               hdb:  pio

When I use floppy images for 2.2.18pre21, I successfully use the rescue floppy
  (although it reports the hda problems above), and I successfully use
  the root floppy.  I then select to load additional device drivers
  since it is not recognizing any hard disk.  After inserting
  the dev-1 floppy, It tries and replies "Cannot mount the floppy.  Stop"
  This happened with two separate dev-1 floppies that I made.
My floppy images were made from:
  http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.44/compact/

My disk is (according to Microsoft System_Tools/System_Information:
    Western Digital:  WDC WD450AA-00BAA0 LBA
    42,934 MB, Ultra DMA4
    Drive C: FAT32 with 22.39 GB + 21.51 GB free
      (I successfully resized the Windows partition)
    63 Sectors/Track, 16,383 Cylinders, 87,930,864 Sectors, 262,128 Tracks, 16 Tracks/Cyl.
       Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
    IDE Controller:
     VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller,
      Primary IDE controller (dual fifo): IRQ 14
      Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo): IRQ 15