Re: * build bootable images

David Whedon wrote:
> I'm working on the bootable images now, I'm using :
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/x696.html
>
> as a resource starting from scratch (i.e. not using the stuff from
> boot-floppies.) reasonable?

Yes, I think an initrd is fine to get started at least. I really want
to see this thing boot too!

Please, once you're comfortable with building it, add it as a target to
build/Makefile. You'll have to fudge a bit on how the build system gets
the vmlinuz file -- I'm trying to think of a clean way but I haven't
yet; the best I've come up with is providing a special .udeb that
includes the vmlinuz file.

Also, it would be helpful if you used the kernel-splitter/.config file
as the .config for the kernel, and modify it if necessary (it has initrd
in it already though). I'm going to improve on kernel-splitter soon too,
probably will make it actually build the kernel it uses. Right now you
have to do that by hand with make-kpkg (I have a kernel-image built from
that .config file if you want it.)

All the kernel stuff is pretty damned unclean, but we shouldn't let that
stop us from making a bootable image, messy as it may be.

--
see shy jo