language chooser still not prime time

Package: boot-floppies
Severity: important
Version: 2.2.21

Well, I was hoping to get language chooser in on a potato point
release, but this is looking less and less likely.  I must say, I'm
a bit disappointed that reported problems are not getting fixed there.

Here are the problems which prevent language chooser from becoming the
default:

modconf doesn't run

highlight is messed up, e.g., when running

keymaps still presenting an error message (it's using 'i386/qwerty/us'
rather than 'qwerty/us' for instance -- perhaps setting the keyboard
can be skipped entirely but this needs to be tried and I don't have a
l10n'd keyboard to try with)

These problems have been outstanding for a month, so I'm losing hope
they'll be fixed before I branch potato.