Booting problems with Debian 2.2 on a SuperMicro P5MMA based machine.

Using a machine based on a "SuperMicro" P5MMA (Rev. 2) motherboard I am experiencing intractable problems with booting Debian 2.2 ("Potato") using the 2.2.17 kernel.

The machine is equipped with an AMI bios (Rev 1.4) and has PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports. The mouse and keyboard in use are "Logitech" and are brand new.
The floppy drive in use is a "TEAC" , also brand new.

The machine will load and run Windows NT4 and FreeBSD 4.1 without any problems , however Linux is another matter.

Booting , whether from CD or floppy disk works until some point after booting the kernel , at which point the screen fills with line after line of

"pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xFF)"

eventually , "keyboard timed out"

and then , after the hard disks are detected ,

"Floppy drives - unrecognised type 15 ...." and other mention that it thinks the floppy is a USB device.

In time a prompt is reached but with the keyboard inoperative little can be done and it is impossible to prevent the messages scrolling up before they are read.

The kernel 2.2.17 does provide more information than earlier kernels as to the possible problem , they simply appear to hang after starting the kernel swap daemon.

Adjusting "shadowing" , "cacheing", etc. in the bios setup doesn't clear the problem. Using the "boot command" "reserve=" around the addresses for the keyboard (obtained from NT4 on the machine) doesn't clear it , nor does disabling PCI probing.

I had thought the problem was due to an older keyboard and floppy drive , which is why new ones were acquired but failed to clear problems.

Have you heard of this type of problem previously with these boards? It is the first time in 6 years I have found a machine which will not boot Linux.

Any ideas as to a possible solution would be very greatly appreciated.

Arthur Turrington.

turrington@computerweekly.net   (United Kingdom).