Re: new demo system -- chrooted!

Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Thu Dec 21, 2000 at 02:16:11PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > The 160k being used by busybox is also too much
>
> I was sortof liberal with enabling apps so far, just because I had no idea what
> would be needed.

I think you did a good job; the extra utilities are helpful when you're
actually working in the chroot at the command line so I appreciated
them. But there is surely a lot of stuff we can eliminate from the final
system.

> If you see anything in the busybox.udeb that looks like a
> candidate for the chopping block, I'll be happy to axe it for the next
> release...  And keep in mind that that 160k is replacing and awful lot of other
> utilities...

Oh, indeed. I'd rather come up with an include list than an exclude
list though.

> Hmm.  So before compiling up a new busybox, I would run a script or some such
> to look over the set of all .udebs and decide from that what to compile in?

Yeah, something like that. I don't know if it actually makes sense.

The d-i base system is really small and simple enough that we should be
able to just read the code and get a list of all the utilities that are
really needed. If we give you that list, can you make a udeb that
contains them, and a second udeb that contains everything in the current
udeb that is not in that list?

Here's a list of what we need by inspection:

- main-menu: nothing
- anna: nothing *
- wget-retreiver: wget *
- udpkg: ar, zcat, tar, rm *
- cdebconf: nothing (I think)
- netcfg: ifconfig (not in busybox though, sadly. You know about a mini
                    one right?) *

* = needs sh

Well that's not much!

--