Re: biweekly debian-installer status report

    Joey> Still Todo (for individual TODO lists, see inside the trees of the
    Joey> individual modules):

    Joey>         - cdebconf (miniature debconf in C) [Randolph Chung, Anthony Towns]
    Joey>                 In progress, has one working database backend and one
    Joey> 		working text-based frontend, with progress on a ncurses
    Joey> 		frontend.

 I'm curious... why was `ncurses' chosen over Slang for this?  I
 thought that the reason Slang had been used for the boot-floppies
 `dinstall' was that it's a smaller library than `ncurses'.  Or, does
 it turn out that an `ncurses' subset is smaller or is just easier to
 program and more flexible... or what?

    Joey>         - network card detector [Glenn McGrath, David Whedon]
    Joey>  [...]
    Joey> 	- other hardware detection [David Whedon]
    Joey> 		David has written detectors for sound, ethernet, cd, cpu,
    Joey> 		disk, and memory detection. All need testing.

 Why not use a 2.4.0 kernel with `devfs', and rely on it for device
 detection in some way, I clatter...  (typing before I look for the
 answer myself as usual) From the README in
 <kernel-source>/filesystems/devfs, I'd say it's designed for this.

 I guess the problem is that you have to try and guess which driver to
 insmod, check that insmod worked, and then test that the devfs entry
 got made?  I'm interested in learning how this will be solved.

    Joey> 	- after-reboot configuration [Joey?]
    Joey> 		Many packages that are currently set up by the
    Joey> 		boot-floppies need to start handling their own setup, after
    Joey> 		reboot, via debconf. These include timezone config, many of
    Joey> 		the things in base-config now, what else?

 Actually offer to set the clock then too, I suppose, either from a
 timerserver or by hand.

--
mailto: Karl M. Hegbloom <karlheg@debian.org>
http://people.debian.org/~karlheg/