Re: [sumary] Re: unattended install

On Sat, Dec 09, 2000 at 08:43:46PM +0900, Junichi Uekawa wrote:

:Just write a script to install, and put it in
:
:/sbin/dbootstrap
:
:of root.bin

This is where I'm headed for the short term, but (aside from ugliness)
presents a few problems.  First partitioning the HD (the size of which
is unknown, due to variation among machines) and second the
configuration of the base system.  Base system config is tricky
because the machines will all have fixed IP's (DHCP is right out), and
there's six possible subnets which will each have different
/etc/resolv.conf, routing and netmask info.

All of this is possible using conditional statements and sfdisk, but
very ugly, and the goal is to have a small file genrated by a CGI
script which users (possibly from windows machines) can copy to a boot
disk, soc hacking root.bin on a CD isn't really in the cards for me.

My current thinking is to use an NFSrooted system for install, which
gives me any easy way to tweak the process (easier than burning more
CDs), and will read back a config either from the floppy or perhaps
even off the NFS volume (the CGI could just as easily put it there,
saving users the need to make a floppy from image then copy stuff
over).

I hope to be able to get the sfdisk hack into a clean state and be
able to contribute that, if there isn't a more generalized "read config
file" option worked in that covers partitioning  along with the rest
of the install.

:# no, this is a gross hack.

yes, this is a gross hack :)

:Knowing the target machine to install, it is possible.
:dpkg -i /cdrom/*.deb
:is a very good installer, if we selectively put package files onto a CD-Rom.

once a working basesystem is established the rest (packages, a few
tweeks under /etc) is pretty trivial, especially since the script
we're using for AIifying RH systems will translate quite readily.

-Jon