Re: dbootstrap: understanding is_cdrom_image

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 04:01:15PM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
>
> > You are missing the point of my function. It is meant to test if we are
> > booting from a cdrom. Your check is something completely different. Might
> > be better to make a new test just for your purposes, rather than risk
> > messing up the current function.
>
> Ok, ok.  No need to get annoyed -- a little nominal documentation or
> comments would help.

Sorry, didn't mean to be harsh.

> Then please explain what the return values 1 and 2 are supposed to
> represent?

1 means "we booted off of a debian CD using a floppy image style bootup.
so we need to mount a cdrom for the install source", which is the way i386
and similar boot.

2 means "we booted off of a Debian CD with the actual CD as the filesystem,
so we don't need to mount anything, we just use the files right off the
root filesystem under /dists". This is the way sparc cd images are. With
this method, there are no questions about the source of the packages,
because the installer just knows where to get them, and does it without
question (unless you have the verbose boot option set).

Maybe I can use some #defines for constants to make this easier to
understand.