Re: Boot floppies 2.2.19

On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 10:19:53AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Well, Dan, the big ticket question is whether you fixed the bug 69161,
> the only RC bug against the boot-floppies.

the quik install does actually work, the problem is you must
reconfigure OpenFirmware in order for quik to ever be loaded.
normally on these machines (oldworld powermacs) OpenFirmware is
configured to just `boot' a MacOS ROM chip which has its own bootstrap
method for finding a copy of MacOS.  thus the boot-device variable
must be changed to have OpenFirmware instead load a bootblock off the
bootable partition instead of the MacOS ROM.

the hard part about this is figuring out the right OpenFirmware device
path to the hard disk in question i have solved this on most machines
with a script, ofpath i adapted which mucks around /proc figuring out
the path. its in the yaboot package.  in thoery dbootstrap could use
this utility to get the path and then run nvsetenv to change the
OpenFirmware configuration so quik would be booted.  but i think dan
prefers not open this particular can of worms.   a much safer solution
is to fix the documentation stating that the user must manually use
ofpath and nvsetenv to reconfigure OpenFirmware.  that command is as
follows:

nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath <rootdev>)"

where <rootdev> is the root partition node, eg: /dev/sda2

i should have put this in my documentation patch regarding newworld
yaboot setup but i didn't think of it :/  i could put together another
documentation patch if requested.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/