Can't install udma66 base

I am unable to install downloaded Debian 2.2r1 udma66 base system on an ATA/66 drive attached to a Promise Ultra66 controller. Various suggestions in HOW-TOs, news groups, etc. don't help.  The Ultra66 and all attached HDs work fine with Windows 98.

Drives on my P3 with 128MB memory are configured as follows:

UDMA33 motherboard connectors
    ide0    hda - (nothing attached)
                hdb - (nothing attached)
    ide1    hdc - CDROM
                hdd - CDROM
Ultra66 connectors
    ide2    hde - IBM 371800 ATA/66 (contains Win98 partitions C: and E:)
                hdf - (nothing attached)
    ide3    hdg - IBM 371350 ATA/66 (contains Win98 partition D:)
                hdh - Quantum Fireball ect08 04 ATA/66 (all partitions removed with DOS fdisk)

All HDs are attached via 80-wire cables. The drive at hdh is intended for Linux partitions.

Booting with the udma66 rescue.bin floppy (no options entered at boot: prompt) shows first part of load sequence, then stops at line showing first instance of

    hde: IBM 371800...

Entering Ultra66 I/O addresses as options at boot: prompt

    e.g., "linux ide2=0xdc00 ide3=0xe400,0xe800"

carries the load sequence further, ending with

    Partition check:
        hde: [PTBL] [1027/255/63] hde1 hde2 <hde5>
        hdg: [PTBL] [1027/255/63] hdg1
        hdh:
    VFS: Insert root floppy....

(Seems o.k. to to this point...)

The root floppy then loads o.k., and continues the install sequence o.k. until it gets to disk partitioning and the "Select Disk Drive" page.  The *ONLY* option it displays is

    /dev/hde

I want to re-partition and format *ONLY* the empty Quantum drive attached at hdh, and *NOT* my Windows drives.

Please help!!!   P.S. -- I do not want to reinstall the Quantum drive on motherboard (ide0).