rolling a kernel for a different machine

Hi All,
sorry for posting this to this list as it isn't a
development question but no one on the debian-user or
debian-laptop lists seemed to know.

I'm trying to build a kernel for my laptop (Sony Vaio
F250) on my desktop machine.  I tried the following:

    #make config
    #make dep
    #make clean
    #make bzdisk

    then tried to start my laptop with the boot disk.
It goes smoothly through the partition check at which
point I get the error:

    Invalid session number or type of track
    Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
03:01

This boot disk will, however, boot the desktop machine
without a hitch.

I've looked in the kernel how-to and can't find the
answer there so any advice or guidance would be
greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Andy