Re: the next step

    Erik> At Lineo (where I work) we have a tool called "Lipo" (written in perl) that
    Erik> does the library reduction thing, and we have it working quite nicely on a
    Erik> number of platforms.
    >>
    >> Can we use it?

    Erik> I just checked, and it looks like lipo is not being released for free
    Erik> (obligitory mumble).  It does some very complex and interesting stuff though.

 That's silly.  We'll just reimplement it anyway.

    Erik> Regardless, to fix up the current mklibs.sh so it can at least work properly
    Erik> cross platform it really just needs platform specific symbol kludge lists.
    Erik> I.e. test on powerpc.  Doesn't work, but prints out "missing symbol _foo".
    Erik> _foo goes into the powerpc symbol kludge list.  Iterate till it works, then
    Erik> pick a new platform to fix.

 Ok.  I saw a shell script on solaris like that once.  It actually
 tried to dynamicly figure out what libraries to link something
 against by looping around until it had built the list.

 I guess while we're at it we may as well rewrite it in Perl or
 something quicker than a shell script.  It really needs real lists.
 I don't completely understand how it works yet, but have some idea.
 It would be a fun project to try.  Right now I'm working on my XEmacs
 21.2 packager.  Dres didn't want to take over; it's really complex
 and not finished, so if it's going to get done, I have to finish it.
 I've another week at this rate.

    Erik> I don't think uclibc is quite ready for use by the boot floppies -- but I think
    Erik> it will be ready before the woody release.  One thing that may need some
    Erik> attention is arch support (such as Alpha or UltraSparc).
    >>
    >> Is it in CVS where we can pull it out as an included module or a side
    >> tree?  Can you create a patch-queue like I mentioned previously?

    Erik> My ucLibc source tree lives at:
    Erik>     http://opensource.lineo.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/uC-libc/
    Erik> directions for anon cvs access is at
    Erik>     http://opensource.lineo.com/cvs_anon.html

 Ok, cool.  Do you have a patch queue for us?

    Erik> The syscall layer is in a state of flux at the moment -- starting late last
    Erik> night I began converting from asm syscall invocations to c ones, which makes
    Erik> my life a lot easier and makes it much easier to port to new architectures.

 With any luck I'll understand the code well enough to help enough to
 impress someone into hiring me.

--
We should not penalize the conscientious to coddle those who run brain-dead software.
I am karlheg, of deB.ORG.  You will be freed.  Resistance is useful.