Re: Kernel for boot floppies

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 01:00:16AM -0400, Vaidhyanathan Mayilrangam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I met with joeyh during ALS and offered to work on kernel for the boot floppies.
> I got the kernel down to 355 KB.. From what I understood from joeyh, the new
> installer will be just the kernel and the network drivers.. However, one of the
> issues I have is that to read the network drivers, we need to provide support
> for the IDE and SCSI subsystems..
>
> Should those be a separate modules by themselves or should I try to compile them
> into the kernel itself? Then we will have two versions of the kernel, one for
> IDE and one for SCSI as we do now..

For network installs, we could theoretically dispense with IDE and SCSI
entirely.  This is probably not generally useful, though, since we'd
still need to support installing off CD and hard disk.  It does raise
the point that we never really need both network and disk drivers, esp.
if we are willing to have two boot floppies (one for network and one
not).

> Further, does the SCSI support for NCRXX cards alone just enough ? I do not
> have a scsi machine and would appreciate the inputs..

No, at least the Adaptec cards need to be supported - really, almost
all of them do.

Dan