Re: redesigning the debian installer

On Thu, Sep 21, 2000 at 12:54:57AM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Torsten> You need a decent network for that. That's not always available.
>     Torsten>It is nice if you have it though.
>
>  Have yous read the "Remote Boot mini-HOWTO"?  Have a look.  It's in
>  `doc-linux-html' IIRC.  They describe a setup used for school
>  computer labs where they can boot any OS, and boot from an image kept
>  on a central server.  Maybe someone could package it up?

I did something like that in my school back in 1997. But that has nothing
to do with the installer.

[cfengine]
>  Isn't `debconf' supposed to take on some of that all?  With off-box
>  config databases, pre-configuration, etc?

Forget it :( debconf is for creating the first config files and updating
them with upgrades if you did not change anything by hand. Most of the
time the debconf interface of a package does not allow what you want so
you change the config files. This is what we use cfengine for and this
is also what can't be done with debconf.

>  `debconf's answer to `kickstart' again; set up one box, enter stuff
>  for the differing info on the other ones, and set the thing off to
>  install them all???  Will such a thing exist someday?

We are working on it.

cu
	Torsten