Re: redesigning the debian installer

> Michael S. Fischer wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:57:41PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > Perl is out, far too big. C is fine. Shell is ok if you limit yourself to
> > > pure posix shell and are very careful about extra shell commands you use,
> > > since each such command adds more size.
> >
> > tomsrtbt uses ash.  What are we using?
>
> Ash unless something better comes along (busybox has the beginnings of a
> shell in it, but it's nowhere near posix yet).

I would suggest zsh. It is much smaller than bash but has 99% of the features.
It is has also readline editing, completion, history, etc. for interactive use.
In my opinion ash lacks many useful features, for example variable expansion.
My debian installer was written in zsh and I found it very good.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |