AW: Installing into DOS partition

Hi,

thank you for answering.

> > First try: umsdos
> You'll need to supply more information.  What is failing with
> umsdos.o?
Don't remember anymore. Its working now. Don't ask why :-(

> Once you're able to mount, mount it on /target, the install routine
> will accept that later.
Yes, it does so.

And here comes the real problem:

The install routine will (given c:\ is mounted at /target) build
c:\etc, c:\bin, c:\sbin... instead of c:\linux\etc, c:\linux\bin....
which is a must for using it as root filesystem.

(Ok, I could circumvent this with something like:
mount -t umsdos /dev/hdxy /top
ln -s /top/linux /target)

How did you solve this problem? (If you really did install, of course)

And - of course - it doesn't build the '--linux.---' files and
doesn't run umssync in order to fill them up correctly.
So it can't find any of the files needed for coming up.
And here I don't know a trick to circumvent this.

How did you solve this one?

> > Second try: loop file system
> >    No modules needed, but same problem with mount.
> I installed potato into a file using loop (mount -o loop
> /mnt/file /target)
> today, so this works, proven.
Again, (quite sure having used the right syntax before) it now works :-(

But like with umsdos, here comes the real problem:

In order to create my filesystem i should use

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/linux bs=1k count=100k
mke2fs /mnt/linux

-> of which the second gives me an:
error in loading shared library /lib/libext2fs.so.2
symbol __divdi3
version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

Ok, I built my file on another machine and transferred it
into my dos-partition.
And it installed from CD like a charm.

For (re-)booting linux I have to build a inial ram disk
an supply loadlin or lilo with that.
Did not try yet, but shoud work.

Ok. So far. Summary:

In case of umsdos i stuck with
the umssync problem. Maybe I could save this with one of these
mini-linux-on-one-floppy which contains umssync.
I tried tomsrtbt but this missed umsdos support.

In case of loop filesystem I succeeded in building the base
system. But only with building the loop file on another machine.
And have still to fiddle with the initial ram disk.

Both have their problems.

To me the umsdos solution seems more ideal for the approach
of testing linux in a DOS filesystem because its size is variable.
(Even if the loop solution seems or realy is faster)

Therefore:
Any ideas to solve the umssync problem without a mini distribution?

Thank a lot for your patience

     Matthias