Re: [debian-installer] microdpkg

On Mon Aug 21, 2000 at 06:32:09PM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> > Maybe I'm missing something though (I almost certainly am), but do we really
> > need a 'microdpkg-deb'?  Wouldn't just 'microdpkg' be enough?  When we go to
> > install the base system, we really just want to unpack the .debs and drop them
> > into place.  For this to take place we can do something like the following:
>
> well, you want some minimal support for depends and such to make sure
> you are not screwing things up too bad, and you'd also want to make sure
> /var/lib/dpkg/status is updated appropriately...

Oops, I had forgotten /var/lib/dpkg/status.

> i started doing this in a shell script and got some of it done, but i
> think going to C will be a better idea for handling depends and such. i
> *think* 20-25k should be quite doable. It'll fork busybox ar/tar to do
> unpacking and such. we can link it in directly as well if it doesn't bloat the
> binary too much, but busybox will be there so it doens't seem to make
> sense to have two copies of the code.

Doing depends will cetainly be too nasty for a shell scriot, so if we really
want to include depends, then I agree that doing udpkg in C is the way to go.
Since tar and ar are both already in busybox, putting in udpkg shouldn't add
too much (mostly just the depends checking).

udpkg will also come in handy for busybox-static.  After people hose their
system, having a tiny, staticly linked dpkg lying around will be very useful.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org