[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Bug#67645: marked as done (base: /etc/environment isn't owned by any packages)

Your message dated 14 Aug 2000 17:56:34 -0400
with message-id <oaaeefecbx.fsf@arroz.fake>
and subject line Bug#67645: base: /etc/environment isn't owned by any packages
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere.  Please contact me immediately.)

Darren Benham
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)

Received: (at submit) by bugs.debian.org; 24 Jul 2000 07:45:46 +0000
>From petya@logic.ru Mon Jul 24 02:45:46 2000
Return-path: <petya@logic.ru>
Received: from relay.radio-msu.net (mpr.radio-msu.net) [] 
	by master.debian.org with esmtp (Exim 3.12 2 (Debian))
	id 13Gcvp-0006Hx-00; Mon, 24 Jul 2000 02:45:45 -0500
Received: from lambda.novdv.ru (dyn52.cea.ru [])
	by mpr.radio-msu.net (8.9.0/8.8.7) with ESMTP id LAA19165
	for <submit@bugs.debian.org>; Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:45:36 +0400 (MSD)
Received: from peter by lambda.novdv.ru with local (Exim 3.12 #1 (Debian))
	id 13Gcs5-00048s-00; Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:41:53 +0400
From: Peter Novodvorsky <petya@logic.ru>
Subject: base: /etc/environment isn't owned by any packages
To: submit@bugs.debian.org
X-Mailer: bug 3.3.3
Message-Id: <E13Gcs5-00048s-00@lambda.novdv.ru>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 11:41:53 +0400
Delivered-To: submit@bugs.debian.org

Package: base
Version: 20000724
Severity: normal


File /etc/environment isn't owned by any package and so it cannot be upgraded.
I think it should be included in base-files because it is installed with
boot-floppies during of system installation.


-- System Information
Debian Release: 2.2
Kernel Version: Linux lambda 2.2.14 #1 Sun Jan 16 13:48:57 EST 2000 i586 unknown

Received: (at 67645-done) by bugs.debian.org; 14 Aug 2000 21:56:16 +0000
>From adam@onshore.com Mon Aug 14 16:56:16 2000
Return-path: <adam@onshore.com>
Received: from relay03.netaddress.usa.net [::ffff:] 
	by master.debian.org with smtp (Exim 3.12 1 (Debian))
	id 13OSDQ-0007mv-00; Mon, 14 Aug 2000 16:56:16 -0500
Received: (qmail 15005 invoked from network); 14 Aug 2000 21:56:14 -0000
Received: from dsl-234-232-186-216.cust.dslnetworks.net (HELO arroz.fake) (postfix@
  by relay03.netaddress.usa.net with SMTP; 14 Aug 2000 21:56:14 -0000
Received: by arroz.fake (Postfix, from userid 421)
	id D0BE993802; Mon, 14 Aug 2000 17:56:34 -0400 (EDT)
Sender: apharris@arroz.fake
To: Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es>
Cc: 67645-done@bugs.debian.org, Peter Novodvorsky <petya@logic.ru>
Subject: Re: Bug#67645: base: /etc/environment isn't owned by any packages
References: <Pine.LNX.3.96.1000724120803.5159A-100000@cantor.unex.es>
From: Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>
Date: 14 Aug 2000 17:56:34 -0400
In-Reply-To: Santiago Vila's message of "Mon, 24 Jul 2000 12:14:31 +0200 (CEST)"
Message-ID: <oaaeefecbx.fsf@arroz.fake>
Lines: 30
User-Agent: Gnus/5.0803 (Gnus v5.8.3) Emacs/20.7
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Delivered-To: 67645-done@bugs.debian.org

Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> writes:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Peter Novodvorsky wrote:
> > Package: base
> > Version: 20000724
> > Severity: normal
> > 
> > Hello!
> > 
> > File /etc/environment isn't owned by any package and so it cannot be
> > upgraded.
> /etc/environment is a text file so it can be "upgraded" by using any text
> editor, like emacs, etc.
> There is no requirement in policy that every file has to "belong" to a
> given package, so this is not a bug.

Agreed.  Closing.

> If the boot-floppies team asks me so, I would gladly include a default
> /etc/environment in base-files, but it would be treated like
> /root/.profile or /root/.bashrc, i.e. the user will never be prompted
> about it in any way.

I don't really see the benefit to that.

.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

Reply to: