Re: [woody,debinst] Interim filesystem

Bruce Sass wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, bug1 wrote:
> > How and Interim filesystem might work (as i see it)
>
> Why have an interim fs?
>
> - Bruce

1) To get around any space limitations presented by the boot medium, or
ramdisk.
	It is delaying the partitioning process till later on after we have
lots on space available to us.
	There are lots of different things we can consider doing if space isnt
the primary limitation.

2) It adds a seperation layer between what we are installing from and
what we are installing to.

	To enable non linux installs, e.g. Debian/Hurd (or Debian/bsd, or
Debian/plan9 if they eventuate)

	For all those cases the interrim filesystem would always be Linux, and
the linux interim filessytem would provide what is needed to install and
configure the local hardware (partitioning etc), the final os kernel and
then can just be copied across and activated on reboot.

	It adds a seperation layer between what we are installing from and what
we are installing to.

Was i convicing ?

Glenn