Re: Should the text in configuration files be translated?

On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 08:59:01AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2000 at 04:40:09PM +0200, Marcin Owsiany wrote:
> > > Yes, exactly.
> >
> > the only one I can think of is the translated messages being
> > inaccurate/wrong/misleading/too poorly translated. But I guess that if one
> > chooses to do an install in his/her mother tongue, he/she wants the root's
> > environment localized as well.
>
> Won't there be problems with upgrades?  I mean, sure, dpkg will notice and
> prompt, but it'll be awfully hard to deal with prompts on every single
> conffile every time you upgrade, and difficult to impossible to tell where
> the real changes that you need to make are among the noise.

Is that not already a problem with the current system ? If you change anything
in any conffile you will be prompted for changes.

A solution would be to keep the original config file around, and then have
dpkg make a diff from the original conf file with the current one, and then
show this diff, and propose to apply the patch to the new conf file.

i think this has some nasty problems still, but it is an idea, ...

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER