Re: ethernet with potatot

Matthew Hirsch <mph@dorsai.org> writes:

> I think that I have found a bug:

>     I installed potato boot disks and it will not listen
>  to ethernet with an  3c509 ethernet card.
>  It sends ip fine. (lights seen on laptop connector)

The link light being up doesn't mean it's sending packets fine.

I assume you probably haven't configured the interface.
On tty2 during the install procedure, *after* you have loaded the
3c509 card and configured the network, please try it then.

If it still doesn't work, then that is some sort of bug in the
software.  Look at ifconfig output -- probably send it here.

>  dual boot pc into win95 and it does listena
>  and connects to my laptop no problem.
>
> So, How can I work with people to find out what this is and
> get it fixed for myself and the distribution.  Also, I had a working
> system and was just upgrading to a current potato. (it was a potato from
> early versions and was just getting upgraded)

This confuses me.  Boot-floppies is not for upgrading.  It's for new
installations.

> Caveat:
>    I was hoping on using the laptop to install the current versions
> as I would move the laptop to internet cafe's to pickup the sections
> of the distrib that I need. but since the laptop and the desktop do not
> speak very well, the desktop is not fully configured yet. It has base
> but does not necessaryly yet compile the kernel.
> (this is a different problem of how to correctly and quickly upgrade
> a machine to be very usable )

Well, that's not really much of an issue for us.  It should work.