Re: Mass install / Autoinstall (Was: Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.)

I would agree most of the proposed solutions are quick hacks.

The fact is, we won't be natively supporting bulk installation until
Woody.  And even that  is in question.  As I understand it, the
proposed Woody install system is debconf based; moreover, debconf can
have different backends for receiving configuration info, for
instance, an LDAP backend, or a backend that munges an XML file from a
web server.

Yes, vapor vapor vapor but that's the right way to do it if you ask
me.  Hopefully debconf will be _de rigeur_ for any package requiring
configuration info at pkg install time in Woody, so what we would have
is really a general solution rather than just a partial or hack
solution.