another try at debian/ppc/apus boot floppies. (2.2.13-2000.05.04).

Hello, ...

after totally reformatting/repartitioning my harddisk, i had another try at
installing the latest boot floppies (should be 2.2.13, the one from current in
the debian archive). and there are still problems ...

  * amiga-fdisk decided to become read only, i don't know what is happening
    here, could be hardware related, so i simply used an amigaos tool to set
    up partitions and change the partition type to what linux expects.

  * when trying to install the kernel and modules, it didn't work. The
    following stuff are logged :

    - installing kernel & modules from
      /target/home/debian/dists/potato/disks-powerpc/current
    - running cmd `mount -r -t ext2 /dev/loop0 /floopy'
    - mounting /dev/loop0 on /floppy failed : Invalid argument
    - Unable to mount the Rescue floppy, you may have inserted the wrong
      floppy, please try again.

  * and at this stade i get a new menu, but proposing only floppy install
    (/dev/fd0 & /dev/fd1) but no more harddisk or mounbted installs.
    I reported this already some weeks ago, should i fill a bug report ?

Also a bit more investifation showed :

  $ mount -t ext2 -o loop=/dev/loop0 root.bin /floppy
  Mounting root.bin on /floppy failed : Block device required.

i uncompressed the root.bin file naturally.

So what is wrong here ? the root.bin file should be ok, since i booted with
it. loop device is included in the kernel, not a module.

The same goes for the resceu.bin file. BTW, is it correct for it to be an x86
boot disk or something like that on a ppc plateform ?

I can do nothing here, because i have no installed system, i can not self
compile the boot floppies, to see what is wrong, notr can i recompile the
kernel. I will try a hand installation nextly, simply untaring the base
tarball, and skipping all the boot floppies stuff, but i guess most users will
not be happy with that, as well as i remember that it is not ok to do it this
way.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER