Re: [Woody - dbootstrap] RFC: Better state machine for main_menu()?

    Leon> Adam Di Carlo (adam@onshore.com) spake thusly:
    >> karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:
    >>
    >> >  Maybe `main_menu()' can be redone somehow - make the state machine a
    >> >  little nicer - use a state table for deciding what is next and what
    >> >  to offer, etc.  A checklist might be useful...
    >>
    >> I believe in woody dbootstrap is eliminated complete in favor of a
    >> little debconf-based media selected and bootstrapper.

    Leon> Hmm, would be nice if one could select questions (?) to be asked
    Leon> by debconf from a list, and deselect ones which should use defaults.

    Leon> Would also be nice to be able to save this "profile" for later use
    Leon> by unattended installs, imho.

 Yes, that sounds great.

 I would also like some support for non-standard `base2_X.tgz'
 packages - that is, if anything really needs to be done to have that.
 What I'm thinking of doing is a complete installed and well
 configured system, tarballed and put on CD so it can be duplicated
 easily.

 I'm thinking of hooking the installer - before `dboostrap' starts,
 have a shell script run; perhaps rename `dboostrap', and have a shell
 script by that name...  I want to have `sfdisk' available for
 this... and when I know it's a fresh hard drive just for Linux, then
 let it run most of the configuration automaticly.  Like, boot the CD,
 enter a screen or two of information it needs, then walk away and go
 eat lunch.

 Support for this sort of thing in our installer would be good for
 folks wanting to sell computers with Debian preinstalled, perhaps.
 For now the best way to do it is to mount the hard drive you want to
 install on in a removable rack mount next to the master drive, then
 partition, format, and `cpio' one onto the other.  Do we leave it at
 that, or do we make our install system and cdrom creation package so
 they can be used to make install CD's that do this with a
 pre-configured Debian + value added?