Re: [Woody - dbootstrap] RFC: Better state machine for main_menu()?

karlheg@bittersweet.inetarena.com (Karl M. Hegbloom) writes:

>  Maybe `main_menu()' can be redone somehow - make the state machine a
>  little nicer - use a state table for deciding what is next and what
>  to offer, etc.  A checklist might be useful...

I have some code that implements a marginally better version of what
is in main_menu.c if you care to look at it (it also contains a
somewhat better implementation of a few of the things in boxes.c)

However the real solution IMHO is to build a generic state-machine for
installer type programs, where the states, actions, transitions, and
user messages (boxes) are all contained in a spec file that is
interpreted at runtime.

I think this is what things like InstallShield and such do.

Incidentally it's also kind of what debconf does :-)

--
David Huggins-Daines, Senior GNU/Linux Consultant, Linuxcare, Inc.
613.562.1239 desk, 613.223.0225 mobile