Re: Draft Installation Chapter

"Ross Boylan" <rboylan@mindspring.com> writes:

> I've started revising the install docs, and thought it was a good time
> to put out some of my work in progress.  The portion below is a new chapter
> start.

Its really only useful if you post the 'diff -u' or 'cvs diff -u'
output.  It doesn't matter if diff output is bigger than the file
itself.

> One concern I have is that the presence of multiple kernels may only be
> an issue for i386.

How so?

>  If so, appropriate guards should go around some of the following
> discussion.  I know other architectures have sub-arch's, but perhaps
> the only issue there is picking the one that matches your hardware?

Yes, the only arch with flavors is i386.  The reason to choose a
subarch is if you have a subarch, i.e., I have a powermac rather than
an prep box, or whatever.

> Also, I put in a reference to an item in an enumerated list.  I'm not sure
> if that will work.
>
> I've adopted "sources" as the generic term for the varieties of media and
> over-the-wire
> installation methods.  This is consistent with with apt.
>
> The draft appears immediately below.
>
> <!-- id for an easier reference for translators: $Id: inst-methods.sgml,v
> 1.23 2000/03/28 15:30:45 dhd Exp $ -->

Not the newest version.

> <chapt id="install-methods">Methods for Installing Debian
> You can install Debian from a variety of sources, both local (CD, hard
> disk, floppies) and remote (ftp, NFS, ppp, the web).

I don't know if it's appropriate to say PPP because you can't install
base that way.

Protocol names such as "PPP" and "FTP" should be all caps, generally.

> But wait, there's more!

This might alreayd be in there but I don't really like such chatty
nonsense.

> You can actually make different choices for
> different steps in the installation.  For example, you may start the
> installation by booting off diskettes, but then feed later steps in
> the install process files from your hard disk.
> As the installation progresses you will move from a scrawny, incapable
> system which lives only in RAM to a full-featured &debian
> system installed on the hard disk.  One of the key goals of the early
> installation steps is to provide stronger support for hardware (e.g.,
> interface cards) and software (e.g., network protocols and file system
> drivers) so that later steps have a richer choice of installation
> sources than the earlier steps.

Not badly put, but "stronger support" isn't really the right phrase I
don't think.

> <![ %supports-bootable-cd [
> The easiest route for most people will be to use a set of Debian
> CD's.  If you have such a set, and if your machine supports booting
> directly off the CD, you are set.  Simply
> <![ %i386 [
> configure your system to boot off the CD as described in <ref
> id="boot-dev-select">,
> ]]>

Um, each arch should have a switch on a reference to a section
describing how to boot from CD.  Isn't this in there now?

> insert your CD, reboot, and proceed to the next chapter.  If it turns
> out the standard installation doesn't work for your hardware, you can
> come back here to see about alternate kernels and installation methods
> which may work for you.  In particular, note that some CD sets provide
> different kernels on different CD's, so that by booting off some CD

Say "CDs" not "CD's" since the CD isn't contracting or possessing
anything.

Otherwise, looks pretty good, clear and succinct.

Are you working out of CVS?  Are you doing commits?  Are you expecting
us to commit it?