Mitsumi CD and penguin logo on compact boot disks

Hallo,

I tried the "compact boot disks" (date around 2000-03-29 or
so), platform i386, and had two problems.  Maybe I did sth.
wrong and you can correct me.

1. It seemed to me that my Mitsumi CD-ROM drive was not
   supported by the rescue disk.  I had first to use the
   driver disk.  It would be nice to have either the mcd.o
   or the mcdx.o driver directly in the kernel.

2. At boot time a penguin logo appeared and the text-mode
   was switched from standard 25x80 to 30x80!  I don't know
   the use of the logo and the uncommon textmode, but it
   seemed to me, that this is the cause of two problems:

   a) In `vi' (elvis-tiny) the first five lines are always
      garbled, also sometimes in `less' etc.

   b) Worse, the xserver-svga seems to have problems when
      switching from the uncommon 30x80 to graphics mode,
      when you have an ET4000/W32P chip.  This is already
      documented in README.Tseng or so.

   How can I get rid of this logo and the uncommon
   textmode?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
--