Re: install from a pile of floppies?

I think I am qualified to answer this question. I have in fact been
largely interested in things like this. I would have to so most likely
not. When you have packages that are on the order of 5+Mb you can't fit
them onto a standard floppy or even on of the larger variety (assuming you
can find a drive that will fit those floppies and perhaps the floppies
themselves). The only reasonable way you can do anything like that is to
take say the package and split it with a command like:

split -b 1420000 file.deb

That will leave files xaa xab xac ... etc. Then copy these files onto the
disk and then cat them together in the right order. That will allow you to
transfer the data on floppy media. However it will not allow you to
install directly from floppies.