Re: Feedback on installation attempt

    Jules> [Please cc: me on any replies you want me to see, I'm not on this list]

    Jules> I needed to install new machine today, so I thought I'd use the potato
    Jules> boot-floppies to try them out. These comments relate to the one marked
    Jules> 'current' on my mirror, which contains rescue disks built by joey hess
    Jules> on 2000-03-08 (it sez here...)

    Jules> In a word, nice!

 Good to hear.  There's a prerelease 2.2.9 up at:

  <URL:http://master.debian.org/~karlheg/Packages/boot-floppies/>

 ... You may test that if you like.  Perhaps we will release
 officially this week.

    Jules> A few things I noticed:

    Jules> I notice it's an fbdev kernel.  Is the standard debian one an fbdev
    Jules> kernel these days?  I'm running a stock kernel on my normal machine,
    Jules> but I don't get the pretty beer-drinking pingu...

 I think the compact and idepci kernels use vga16fb.

    Jules> I see some weird floppy errors just after the rescue disk finishes
    Jules> booting, and just before it asks me for the root disk.  I don't know
    Jules> if I perhaps just had a slightly corrupt disk; anyhow it didn't
    Jules> seem to matter.

 I think I've seen this also; it happens on one test machine I have,
 but not on any of the others.  I don't know what causes it.  The same
 error dump happens to "calc" when running my experimental floppy disk
 detection program.

    Jules> The only doc I read was the README in the disks-i386 directory,
    Jules> possibly I missed some documentation.  One thing that might confuse
    Jules> new users is NFS installs; I know how to do one, since I've been
    Jules> around for a bit, but in particular: when you select 'Install
    Jules> Operating System and Modules', one of the choices it gives you is
    Jules> NFS.  However, as far as I can see, you're only going to be able to
    Jules> install these over NFS if you're lucky enough to have a network
    Jules> adapter supported by the rescue disk itself.  Of course, you can
    Jules> select 'floppy' here, and then 'nfs' at the next stage, which is what
    Jules> I did.

 Since the version you tested was released, some changes have been
 made to the choose medium code.  It will no longer offer `cdrom'
 unless one is detected, won't offer `network' or `nfs' unless there
 is a network interface, and won't offer `nfs' unless that's a
 supported filesystem type.  I also want to do floppy drive detection,
 so that fd1 is not offered unless it really exists.  I might try
 doing that this week.  I fear that on some machines that "floppy
 drive state dump" you've seen will scribble all over the interface.

    Jules> Now, the only bug I encountered: the 'configure device modules'
    Jules> doesn't seem to pass parameters correctly to modprobe.  I have a
    Jules> crappy old NE-2000 compatible in this machine, and I happened to know
    Jules> that it was set to 0x360.  But typing 'io=0x360' in the dialog box
    Jules> didn't do the trick -- the module failed to install.  Hitting 'F2' and
    Jules> typing 'modprobe ne io=0x360' by hand worked fine, and I was able to
    Jules> install.

 We need to fix this.  I've experienced the same thing.  I meant to
 get to that this last week but got caught up in other things...  I
 think that "tausq" (Randolph Chung) is working on it now though.

	    **** !! This is a release critical bug !! ****

    Jules> After I'd remembered not to make that mistake, everything went well,
    Jules> except, of course, that when I rebooted it hadn't autoloaded ne.o for
    Jules> me, since I did that 'behind it's back' so when the 'after-reboot'
    Jules> installer was running [whatever that's called; it's cool anyhow, nice
    Jules> work asking about MD5 pws in partic] I had to 'alt-F2' again to
    Jules> modprobe it by hand and then return to the installation.

    Jules> Having finished the installation, I wasn't quite sure of the
    Jules> 'canonical' place to put the 'alias eth0 ne' line.  I settled for
    Jules> /etc/modutils/ne (already created by the install process -- so it
    Jules> *had* noticed my options choice, just not acted on it properly --
    Jules> maybe it just forgot to run update-modules?)

    Jules> During the installation itself, the following packages look like
    Jules> they'd benefit from being debconf-ised (maybe not for 2.2):

    Jules> exim

 I noticed there is demo debconf code for `exim' in the debconf
 example directory.  I wonder why the `exim' maintainer has not picked
 it up yet?

    Jules> One last weird thing... the 'xdm' screen has just come up, saying, as
    Jules> it generally does, Debian GNU/Linux (cinnamon).  Except that the N is
    Jules> in a lighter shade of blue, and drawn twice as high (vertically) with
    Jules> the bottom chopped of.  Weird.

    Jules> Hope some of that is of some use to someone.

 I'd really like to have a task package that installs the right X
 server, a decent gnome compliant window manager or two, and `gdm'.
 It should configure by running XF86Setup or anXious, then configure
 `gdm', and finally launch it.  When the user logs into `gdm' for the
 first time, the default Gnome session ought to work out of the box,
 with a working window manager (NOT TWM), menus, and the whole bit.
 Logging out and logging back in, they ought to have a working setup
 still...  I've had it where when I logged out then back in the first
 time, the window manager didn't restart.  I had to mess around
 creating a fake WM to trick it into falling back on the one it
 thought it was running but wasn't.