Re: boot-floppies 2.2.9 and Debian CD's...

On Sat, Mar 25, 2000 at 10:31:54AM -0800, Jim Westveer wrote:

> On 25-Mar-2000 Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org> writes:
> >
> <snip>.
> >
> > I am satisified with BenC's approach, although I do think that a
> > bootargs flag would be cleaner and more inline with how we're doing
> > other such switches for dbootstrap.
> >

> Just a thought.
>
> At the moment the i386 CD's use the 2.88 rescue.bin images for
> booting from the CD.  Those images already have in them 'root.bin'
> as opposed to the 1.44 images that do not.
>
> Why not just touch the file in root bin before the 2.88 i386 rescue
> image files are put together?  I do not think that the 2.88 rescue
> images are used for anything other than booting the CD's.

How about we do both ways. I'll leave in the support for the /cdrom_image
file on the root.bin, and also add a "cdrom_install" param passed to the
bootup. It would be easier for sparc to support the boot param, since it
only has to change silo.conf (doesn't have to rerun silo like i386 would
have to do for lilo).

Then each arch can choose what is easier for it to do. SPARC doesn't use
2.88 images, not even for CDROM, so it's good to leave a choice.

`     bcollins@debian.org  --  bcollins@openldap.org  --  bmc@visi.net     '