Re: boot-floppies 2.2.9 and Debian CD's...

On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Ben Collins wrote:

> >     for drive in `echo /dev/hd? /dev/sd? /dev/scd?` ; do
> > 	if ! mount $drive /mnt -t iso9660 -o ro > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then
> > 	    continue
> > 	elif [ -e /mnt/README.Debian ] ; then
> > 	    foundit=1
> > 	else
> > 	    umount /mnt
> > 	fi
> >     done
>
> That's asking for all kinds of false positives and problems. We don't want
> to go mucking around with the cdrom stuff unless the user asks us to.

Well, you can also just try it _unless_ the user asks you _not_ to. That's the
M$ way, and AFAIR I didn't hear complaints about that at all ;-))

But _IF_ you try such a scheme, some "magic" determining "mountability" before
the actual mounting would be advisable. The (2.2.x) /proc filesystem contains
some nice hints for that.

(And why only try iso9660? We could also tell users (if they want that) to
put things on "any partition" in a \debian directory, and we could go from
there. And the first Sparc CD is AFAIK going to be ext2, so...)

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer